Tuesday, April 28, 2009

This is ironically sweet in some way. I'd like to believe the UN will make an initiative to end stupidity, but like any good corporation, it needs to keep its own self-interest in mind. Slime mold is apparently more intelligent than the Facebook collective. In above study, the mold controlled a robot to move out of the light. My dear friend Robert and I were discussing the potential of creating vehicles for this slime to create servants for chores, or more.

In some distant way, I'm reminded of Flubber. Only this slime is yellow, and not quite as bouncy.

Also from New Scientist, and in more recent news, Japanese scientists created a chemical that moves of its own volition. The impacts of this discovery could create an AI system with no electronics.

2 comments:

John said...

Don't want to downplay your ambitions with robotics..but I still don't understand the appeal of training robots to do 'chores.' There really aren't 'chores' anymore that take much of anyone's time or effort. It's all about satisfying the mind and the shaft. it's all about information and sex these days. And, robots can't help us with that.

Felix said...

I think you misunderstand. I specifically wish to have trivial robots to feed my own God complex, but the impacts in the scientific world can be quite profound.