Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fifty Dollars and a Clock That Won't Stop Ticking

As much as I would have liked to see a secret welcome party for my induction into the blogosphere, I'm glad I'm writing my first post incognito. All I need tonight is the hum of my computer, Zamfir's wild pan flautistry (is that a word?), and a good chat online. Of course, my good chat has reduced to which games are worth their money on the current generation of gaming systems.

It seems like over the years, even the video game industry is plagued with consumerism, with charts and graphs determining why you should pick up every game manufactured. Maybe I wouldn't complain under other circumstances, but the prices of games have skyrocketed since I was a tyke. You might be able to buy a game for $50, if you can find a decent deal.

I sold most of my systems over the summer, in part to help pay for school, but more to show myself I didn't have an addiction to gaming. It was rough, and I therein proved myself wrong, but now I find myself to be a more fulfilled person without flashing projections beating against my retinas. In short, I've lost weight, my self-esteem has gone up, and I'm the light of the party when I show up to events these days. It's amazing what perseverance will ultimately reward you with.

By the way, none of these new systems are worth it. Save your money and wipe the dust off the Super Nintendo; everyone could use some nostalgia in their life. Or better yet, step outside and realize that you're living in something so vast and beautiful that no one can ever fully appreciate. And save that $50, you never know when you might need it.

No comments: