Monday, November 3, 2008

A Critique on Writing Workshops

In a word, I find creative writing workshops to be utterly terrible; my pomposity tends to get the better of me in there. Either I'm forced to endure poor criticism, or I get to listen to poor Nickelback-based lyrics.
If you're serious about writing, go to maybe one workshop, just to see how ridiculous it is. Welcome to the subtler world of mediocrity. You'll find that a workshop can only provide so much for you, if anything at all.

Maybe I've had a bad experience with workshops. My Intro to Creative Writing class is filled with students who are barely even there for the grades. I don't know if most of them understand the art of the pen.

The bed calls, my rant is through. À bientôt!

1 comment:

John said...

Nickleback...good Lord.

I hope you are less critical maybe, by now, but the more advanced workshops are certainly enlightening...in one way or another. You have to keep in mind the confidence boost for people like us, seeing such grovel among those few who write at all.